Frequently Asked Questions
Coverage & Travel
You can find most session pricing information under the “Investment” tab at the top of the website. If you’re interested in a type of session or event coverage that isn’t listed there, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote.
Where can I find your print, product and digital image pricing?
My product guide is an ever-changing document as I discover new fine art products to offer my clients on a regular basis. Please email me for the current product guide at email@example.com and I’ll gladly supply the most current one to you.
Do you work with a second photographer?
I am the only photographer working with my business, and the only photographer shooting on each wedding day unless you have purchased the add-on of a second photographer with your wedding or event package. I do, however, often bring an assistant or intern with me who helps with gear, lighting and managing groups for family formals.
Do you edit all of our photographs?
Yes, I do! Every image you will receive has been professionally hand-edited, one at a time, by yours truly. I do not outsource any step of your photo experience.
Where do you live and how far will you travel?
I am based in Bloomington, Indiana, and shoot most often throughout central and southern Indiana. However, I do love to travel! Travel is billed simply – if airfare, a hotel and rental car are needed, all you are responsible for is a direct reimbursement for those charges. Any shoot within driving distance is comped 50 miles both ways (or 100 miles total), with additional mileage over that billed at the standard rate of 58 cents per mile.
Do you have an assistant?
I do not have an assistant on my permanent payroll. At any given shoot or event, however, I may have an assistant or intern with me to help me with gear, lighting and managing large groups, if needed.
Are you LGBTQIA+ friendly?
YES! Love is love is love is love is love.
Can some of our photos be delivered in both color and black & white?
Absolutely! I deliver every portrait session and wedding in both color and black and white. Non-wedding events can be delivered in black and white upon request.
How long will it take to receive our proofs from a portrait session?
It typically takes between four and six weeks to deliver a portrait proofing gallery, depending on the time of year.
How long will it take to receive our wedding images?
Wedding images are delivered between eight and twelve weeks after the wedding date.
How many pictures will we receive from our portrait session?
You will receive a minimum of 30 proofs from a regular one-hour portrait session.
How many pictures will we receive from our wedding?
The number of photographs received for a wedding depends on many things – the number of guests, hours of coverage, and type of event. You can usually expect between 75 and 125 images for every hour that I shoot.
Do we get to keep the digital images from our portrait session?
High-resolution digital images can be purchased after your portrait session, but they are not included in your session fee. In order to guarantee beautiful prints and wall art for your home and family, I recommend that you order heirloom products directly from me.
Do we get to keep the digital negatives from our wedding?
In short, yes! I provide the selected, professionally-edited high-resolution digital image files (the digital equivalent of negatives) to you via an online gallery and custom USB drive, if applicable to your collection. When the files are released to you, I can provide you with a list of resources from which to get quality prints. I do retain the copyright to the images and the right to use them for promotional purposes and competitions.
Can we see the outtakes and the images from our wedding or portrait session that didn’t make the final cut?
I strive to give you every high-quality, unique image from your shoot. Know that when editing, I do not “throw out” good, one-of-a-kind images.
What is the online gallery that comes in your wedding collections?
The online gallery is a photo gallery where all of your wedding photographs will be placed online for you and your family and friends to view. It is also a secure shopping cart where you may purchase a few different sizes of prints and canvases directly from my lab. This gallery can be password-protected upon request at no additional charge.
My Wedding Style
My wedding style is very journalistic. I am hands-off and unobtrusive in my coverage of the day, but I do believe there is a time and place for beautifully posed images of the bride and groom together. I want to put gorgeous, timeless art and love on the walls of your home! I also believe in preserving all of the details of a wedding, as I know how much heart and hard work my couples put into throwing a fun, beautiful celebration of their love for both themselves and their friends and family.
Do you take posed family photos?
Of course! Those family images are records of your entire family at a very important time in your family’s history together. I strongly encourage my couples to provide me with a list of important group shots before the wedding to ensure we don’t miss an important grouping during a busy wedding day.
Can we provide you with a shot list?
Other than family groupings, I’d prefer that you didn’t – It’s very helpful to know what important relatives and friends are coming to your day, but having me work from a checklist is counterproductive to the work you’ve seen in my portfolio. I am making unique images of YOUR wedding day, which is like no other! Shot lists provided by some of the major bridal magazines are great in theory, but please know that as a professional, I will generally capture those images without a prompt.
Business & Detail
What kind of equipment do you use?
I use top of the line professional Canon equipment and backups.
Can you hold a wedding or event date for me?
Unfortunately, I cannot hold a date for your wedding without a signed contract and deposit. I accept bookings on a first come/first served basis.
What is your payment schedule?
20% of your wedding collection retainer is due at the signing of the contract. The remainder is due by the day of your wedding. Portrait sessions require a $75 deposit at booking with the remainder due at the time of the shoot.
Can we pay you part of the amount after the wedding or shoot?
I require full payment of wedding and portrait session fees before the event or shoot. Prints and products will be billed later separately when your order is placed.
If I need to cancel my wedding, event or portrait session, is the deposit refundable?
The deposit is non-refundable after the signing of your contract. The deposit guarantees that I’ll hold the date exclusively for you, and once you’ve signed the contract, I do turn down all other commissions for that date. For portrait sessions, however, I know that life happens! While the retainer is non-refundable for a completely canceled shoot, I encourage my clients to reschedule a portrait session at a later date that works for both of us at no extra charge.
When should we book you for our wedding?
ASAP! Since I can’t “hold” dates, dates are booked when they’re booked. Most of my wedding clients contact me within a year of the wedding date, sometimes as close as a couple months prior or sometimes even two years in advance!
If our wedding runs late, will you stay later than scheduled?
Certainly! I do have an overtime rate and it goes into effect only with your permission and approval that I continue coverage. Those hours will be billed to you after the shoot.
Do we need to feed you at the reception?
It would be really lovely if you did. I prefer to be fed when you are fed, not afterwards, because when you’re eating, you may not be at your most photogenic, and when you’re done, I want to be done, too, to continue your coverage.
Can our family and friends take pictures with their cameras at our wedding?
Yes, that doesn’t bother me at all! I do prefer that I get first shot at family groupings to ensure all eyes are looking at my camera, but I don’t mind at all if they’re snapping away behind me.
I am sure you have concerns about remaining safe and healthy at this time, too. I would like to share the current steps I am taking to ensure the studio environment remains safe and clean for your portrait session.
Until further notice, I will only be scheduling one studio session per day, to ensure ample time for thorough sanitization and cleaning between clients. Sessions that cannot meet social distancing standards set by the CDC of at least six feet in the studio, such as newborn sessions, are not being scheduled at this time. Alternatively, no-contact outdoor newborn sessions are now an option. All child milestones, high school seniors, engagement and family sessions will be conducted outdoors with social distancing as long as the weather allows and until our national COVID risk has been sufficiently mitigated.
CLEANLINESS AND PROTOCOLS
Studio cleanliness is a top priority and I take steps to avoid viral contamination at all times. I would like to assure you that I am taking all precautions advised by WHO, CDC, Indiana State Department of Health and the Monroe County Health Department, very seriously, and will be updating these as recommended.
I have implemented extra measures to keep the studio safe for my clients. Some of these extra precautions include:
• Deep cleaning of the studio before and after every session
• Hard surfaces, door knobs, and client seating is cleaned with hospital-grade Cavi-wipes
• Floors are swept and then mopped with a hospital grade cleaning solution
• Bathroom fixtures are cleaned and sanitized with a bleach based cleaner
• I am requiring clients to reschedule if they feel unwell, even if it is mild
• I am requiring clients to leave immediately if they present with a cough, fever or other symptoms
• All hard props, like posing stools, will be wiped down with hospital-grade Cavi-wipes
• Cameras and lenses will be fully sanitized and wiped with hospital-grade Cavi-wipes between each client
• I will wash my hands with soap and water before the session, and use hand sanitizer frequently
• Props will not be reused until they have been deep cleaned and left isolated for at least 48 hours after each use
• I will be wearing a protective face mask during the session
• If I feel unwell, even mildly, I will contact you immediately to reschedule your session
• If I have been in contact with anyone who has a fever, cough or other possible COVID symptoms, I will inform you before the session, and discuss options for rescheduling
If I (or anyone in my household) becomes unwell or comes into contact with anyone exhibiting symptoms, you will be notified immediately and we can reschedule for a better time. Assistants will not be utilized at this time to aid in social distancing.
BEFORE YOUR SESSION WITH ICARUS PHOTOGRAPHY
If you or anyone in your household have been in contact with anyone with a cough or fever or if you feel unwell (even mildly) before your session, please contact me as soon as possible to reschedule. If anyone attending the session appears to have a cough, fever or other symptoms of a virus, the session will be halted and all clients will be asked to leave immediately. We understand this may be an inconvenience, but it is of utmost importance that we do not allow a virus into the studio at this time due to the vulnerable condition of some of our clients.
• Please conduct a self-screening of any known COVID symptoms before you leave for your session, including checking for fever. You may reschedule your session at no charge by calling or texting Katy at 812-444-9805.
• Please ensure you wash your hands well for at least 20 seconds before leaving your house.
• Please bring your own beverage, if needed.
• Please do not bring any additional friends, colleagues or family members to your session.
DURING YOUR STUDIO SESSION
• You will be asked to arrive wearing a mask or face covering. Face coverings may only be removed by client when being actively photographed, when in the restroom or waiting outside on the porch. The studio will provide a sanitized surface in which to store your mask during the shoot.
• You will be asked to remove your shoes and coat at the door upon arrival
• You will be asked to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer upon arrival
• Hand sanitizer will be provided and utilized frequently throughout the session
• Your session will be entirely no-contact. Strict social distancing of at least 6+ feet is required at all times.
• Windows will be opened to ventilate the space as well as possible.
DURING YOUR OUTDOOR SESSION
• Face coverings will not be required for clients, as long as strict social distancing of at least 6+ feet is kept at all times. Your session will be entirely no-contact.
• Sorry, no hugs or handshakes!
• I will wear a protective face mask for the duration of our session, and will endeavor to speak my posing directions loudly. 🙂
• Any props or blankets brought by me to your session will be disinfected or laundered both prior to and after your session.
AFTER YOUR PORTRAIT SESSION
• All galleries will be delivered via my online proofing platform. Video chat, phone calls and email communication will be utilized for assistance in placing print and product orders.
• If you become unwell within 14 days after your session, please let me know immediately, even if you feel it is only mild.
• Please note: If anyone attending the session appears to have a cough, fever or other symptoms of a virus, I will need to ask to postpone the session with no exceptions.
• It is important to let me know in advance if you are feeling unwell so I can reschedule your session to another time.
Thank you for helping me keep the studio a clean and safe environment for myself and all of my clients. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 812-444-9805